About Me

I am creating my first blog to learn about the advantages of communicating in this way. I like books, films, tennis, skiing and travelling and have spent a lot of my life living overseas. I have arrived in Australia fairly recently and have a big country to explore!

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Week #5 Wikis

Wikis seem to be a good way to share information and collaborate. The quality of information may be suspect though, as it will only be as good as its contributors. Having a moderator seems like a good idea for public wikis. I am now more aware of the variety of wikis and of the different ways they can be used from informational, to working tools and documents and ongoing conversations and collaborations. Our library has a Reference Wiki for sharing interesting reference queries and our new trial Program of Library Rovers also have a wiki to share their experiences working on IT and informational problems in the library. Some libraries use Wikis to provide subject guides, information about programmes and events, and invite participation from clients in e.g. book reviews, oral history, community news. I posted a reference desk question to the UC wiki and invited comment.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences of using wikis.

Ellen (PLS)